Thursday, October 26, 2006

Yokohama

Yokohama view
My first visit to Yokohama, and sure enough, arrived on Diwali, the Hindu/Buddhist/Jain/Sikh festival of lights. And wouldn't you know it, there's an Indian Merchants' Association in Yokohama, and they were hosting a big Diwali festival right in Yokohama Yamashita Park. After checking into my hotel room (that's the view - Fuji), I went to check it out. My first meal in Japan (well, since I was here last month) was thosai, idli, and a bhel puri. Solid start!

Ramen museum
After registering for my conference and checking out the trade show, I headed off to the Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum. A foodie amusement park! Examples of different styles of ramen from all over Japan, bars, period costumes, crazy displays. The whole place is nuts, but the ramen was just delicious!

ramen
The Komurasaki ramen, the third of four bowls, was my favorite. A tonkatsu broth ramen from Kumamoto, with crumbled deep-fried garlic and onion sprinkled on top. Tremendous!

Teppanyaki
The next evening, I decided to just stay in and check out "Teppan-Yaki Yokohama", in the basement of the hotel. A private chef, and a tokkuri of Ichi no Kura junmai-shu.

shabu shabu
The next evening, N. came down from Tokyo after work and met me for some shabu-shabu. N. mildly berated me for wanting to jump right into the sake (chastened, I accepted a beer first).

Good eating in Yokohama!

No comments:

Post a Comment