Friday, April 25, 2008

Back to India

Humayun's tomb
Back to India for work the past two weeks, this time, R. decided to join me. The itinerary was breakneck - Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai. Fortunately, wherever we were, when I was at work, she was off enjoying herself with my relatives.

mangosteens
This was a shock! Mangosteens! I was in Delhi to meet with one of our consultants - the plan came down to him coming to our hotel for dinner. After dinner, I noticed mangosteens in the fruit bar - shocking! I was so excited for breakfast the next morning, when I could really enjoy, but there were none to be seen. I asked the manager though, and we were taken care of. Tremendous!

sake menu
At a pan-Asian "fusion" restaurant, I was surprised, even delighted to see a sake list - a first for me in India. And, not a bad list, some of my favorites - Tama no Hikari, Kubota... but ouch, what prices. The worst was yet to come though - their sake was all stored at "room temperature", in the kitchen... so, at about 90°F! Not good. Well, we still had some sake, some Koshino, and it wasn't too bad, perhaps it hadn't been out for long, or sake is just hardier than I expected, but I hope our message about refrigeration got across.

bangles
R. and my aunt bartering for bangles in Hyderabad.

thali
In Mumbai, I was looking forward to the Kandahar restaurant at the Oberoi, they have great lamb dishes. Wouldn't you know it that they had a special all-vegetarian menu the night we were there???

doggie bag
Gives new meaning to the words "doggie bag." India has definitely, definitely changed.


No comments:

Post a Comment