Tuesday, July 1, 2008

2005 Suntory Tomi no Oka

2005 Suntory Tomi no oka
Yamanashi Prefecture
14% abv

This is wine, not sake. Suntory makes a LOT of different things, particularly famous for whiskey and malt beers. I do not have great expectations here though... I've tried a few wines in Japan, not impressed, but this is the first one I'm not trying out of a plastic cup... This one is from 20 year-old vines, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (43%), Merlot (30%), Cabernet Franc (22%), and Petit Verdot (5%).

Colour is clear ruby, hints of crimson. The nose is promising - definite vegetal nose, I'm thinking tomato leaf, graphite, cranberries, the barest suggestion of vanilla. However... palate is weak, thin, watery... a slightly sour, slightly chemical taste, like smarties, without the sweetness. Tannins? Maybe... I guess so, it's "dry" but so dilute. Acidity? Not really. And even finishes a bit hot... and then there's the pain in my wallet... 1600 yen for a half-bottle. Not doing that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment