Saturday, March 20, 2010

Nogne Ø India Pale Ale

Nogne Ø India Pale Ale
17.5° P, 60 IBU, 7.5% abv. Poured surprisingly dark, a sort of cloudy strawberry jam colour, with orange-caramel fringes. Seems to be unfiltered, as there was quite a bit of dregs in the bottle. Persistent head, somewhat restrained nose of citrus hops and malt. Both heavier than I'd expect from an IPA, yet lighter than the colour suggested, good acidity and carbonation bite, not overly hoppy or bitter, I'd say even equally hoppy and malty, lots of earthiness, red fruit and caramel notes giving a sensation of sweetness, but not that much. Have to say this was unlike any IPA I've had before. Not in a bad way.

4 comments:

  1. Well, your post made me go and buy one more (go on, twist my arm again, please?). We had a new batch on sale (#467, brewed 11.11.09) and this was very different to previous ones. The earlier ones had been massive and violent and vulcanic on release and needed about a year in bottle to become enjoyable. This release was really much fun now! Also the hops had gone from an aggressive US style to a more "mineral" style, smelling of wet rocks/rain. I liked the previous incarnations, but I think this release is awesome! Do you remember what batch and brewing date yours was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petrichor? Yes, I thought this was very earthy/mineral/clay oriented, and pretty tasty. Just seemed so...so... different. I checked the bottle, and it doesn't give the batch or brewing date. I then went and checked my remaining bottles, and none of the others have that information either. Your labels are clearly superior, as I remember from your description of the sake labels. Is that because of Finnish law?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's EU law that states that a best before date is mentioned - do you even have that? All the Naked Islands I have had have had the brewing date just above that date, though it isn't required by law.

    What a shame you don't have them. It does get terribly geeky, but I have noticed significant differences between batches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no. The government has changed, but not yet adopting any EU laws! I think Schengen should be adopted first!

    It is a pity, some of the labels even have the fields for that information, but they are blank. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete