Monday, December 27, 2010

Shaving with Sake

Sometimes those luxury products get a bit out of hand. For example, this "sake-infused shave cream"... 6oz for $35!!! Shipping and handling not included! Channeling my inner "Mrs. I can make it at home for nothing", I made it at home for nothing, and I didn't even require a small aubergine.



Ok, not completely for nothing... but definitely a better value than Kyoku! Quick to make, and simple ingredients; my last block of glycerine soap (the vegetarian stuff, it's Kosher too!), containing some lye, various oils, proteins, and fruit extracts. Good stuff. A packet of sake kasu - lees. It's only Hakutsuru, but it's junmai, and that's good enough for me. And finally, a splash of the Jun Tenzan Tokubetsu Junmai that I had open, for good measure.


Mix sake kasu with a little sake, to liquefy, melt the soap, heat to pasteurize, and pour into your mould.


Poured into my shaving bowl and allowed to set. Looks like, well, sake kasu.



Foams very nicely, smooth, but stiffly peaked. Looks promising.



No troubles with application. Feels heavy, definitely smells like sake kasu!


Nice feel, good resistance.


Coats well, glides well.


Clean and smooth. Unsurprisingly, this is much better than your standard drugstore product, the equal of any luxury creme I've tried. I must say though that my skin feels even softer and more moisturized than I expected. So, there might just be something to this sake-infusion. Maybe I should take orders...

1 comment: