Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Old Monk Very Old Vatted Rum

Old Monk Rum
This INDIAN, 7 year old blended rum is butterscotch, vanilla, and caramel all over, rather than the darker treacle and molasses bitterness. Smooth, viscous, and rich, light fruitiness on the long, gentle finish. Hands down the best spirit India has to offer, my favorite dark rum for mixing with coke (maybe Gosling's Black Seal is close), but also very sippable, the perfect winter warmer, but with the 43% abv well hidden. Have never been certain of what the XXX is all about, but proceed with caution.

Apparently, now available in California!!! Ahnold's Stroh better watch out.

4 comments:

  1. Tried this rum last night! Loved it! I would love to try the 12 y/o variety as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Never seen the 12 myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I mixed it with Pepsi, often I sip it neat, I love it either way. I think Gosling's Black Seal is fabulous, but my local (Indian) store owner charges less for Old Monk 7 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensible chap! Don't know about the Pepsi though.

    ReplyDelete