Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nihonshu-no-Hi Offering [1 Koku - 55]

ichi no kura
Ichi no Kura Junmai from Miyagi Prefecture. Sasanishiki rice milled to 55%, SMV +2, acidity 1.5, yeast #9, and 15.5% abv. It's been several years since I've had this, but I have good memories of it. The last time was in 2006 at a very swish teppanyaki place at the Landmark Tower in Yokohama - I was staying there for a conference - had a room on the 65th floor with amazing views of Mt. Fuji... but I digress. Fresh steamed rice on the nose, just a hint of husk (sort of like a popcorn note). Very light and clean, barest suggestion of musk melon and pear, surprisingly dry, with a pleasant astringent bitterness on the finish. Not a complex sake, but maintains a consistent profile from deeply chilled to room temperature, easy, refreshing drinking. Plus, there were snacks!

gingko
Freshly roasted gingko nuts (Philadelphia is half swarming with gingko trees - this weekend, R. and my mother went around and scooped up bags and bags of the nuts - wearing lots of gloves, but wishing they'd brought re-breathers, or at least masks). Man, what a stench. But the end product is very tasty.

3 comments:

  1. i'm serving this sake at my restaurant 'Yatai' at the moment. I think it has choclate undertones with a hint of orange. i like how evenly it crosses the palate. Very versitile with food particularly good with yuzu dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, where is your restaurant? I could see gettingchocolate/orange in this, in the bitterness. I agree, very versatile sake.

    ReplyDelete