Monday, February 22, 2010

Nøgne Ø #100

Nøgne Ø #100
#100 (23.5°P, 80 IBU, 10% abv) - the Ø's 100th batch, a private batch for the brewers themselves, but released all the same. First time I've ever had a bottle top break on me, but so it did... I was struggling to get it open and off a bit sheared. No casualties though, and nothing into the bottle as far as I could tell. Poured a deep black-brown, with a small but creamy head. Dry sour chocolate, hops, minty pine and molasses on the nose, decidedly dark chocolate and persistent hoppy bitterness on the palate, with more sweet molasses, cherries, and earthy wet-bark notes. Sweet but not too sweet, viscous but not too viscous, bitter, but not too bitter.

Now, the label says "Barley Wine-Style Ale." This doesn't taste like any barley wine I've had... it's more Imperial IPA-like than anything else, I think. Pretty exceptional stuff, but a stiff admission price ($18) for the privilege.

2 comments:

  1. I'm onto a new batch of it thought it is still called #100. Batch #446, brewed on 19.VIII.2009. I remember the real batch 100 calmed down with a year or so and I was easily able to finish a bottle on my own. This new batch, has been tame enough from the start (or maybe I just have practiced more :) ). Lovely, hoppy aromas, but I must be honest, I still don't see it as an Imperial IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise they continued to make this - I'll have to see if the bottle gives a clue. Well, I shall aspire to your level of practice!

    ReplyDelete