Friday, February 12, 2010

雪国 (Snow Country)

cannons45 inches of snow in Philadelphia, from late last Friday night through to the early morning hours of Thursday. Not too shabby, though in these southern states, they do nearly go paralytic. I will now demonstrate how to cope.


promenadeFirst, you grab some friends and head out of the house. You need the exercise. Yes, you. Neither the shovelling nor the whingeing count.


Happiness is two bottles of sake - Aramasa and NihonkaiSome say that the reason why Icelanders manage to keep their cheer through their dark and cold winters is all the fish oil in their diets. For us, happiness is two bottles of sake.


winter bbqNot letting anything come between me and my barbecue is important. I do wish the ice on these tongs would melt though. Chorizo anyone?


looking out with NihonkaiNow, when great heaps of snow continue to dump on your head, just keep applying sake. In this case, Nihonkai from Niigata, our little tribute to Kawabata's novel, which was also set in Niigata.


just herBut first, I recommend building a snowdome in which to drink it in.


both insideMad Max (and myself), live from the Sake-Thunderdome. I'm thinking I need to build an extension.

No comments:

Post a Comment