Saturday, August 14, 2010

Camino de Santiago: From Madrid to San Sebastián


Despite fairly strong self-awareness, I agreed to participate in a bike tour this week with some friends in Spain, riding approximately 800km from San Sebastián to Santiago de Compostela. The path chosen was the Camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James (obviously.) This year has particular significance, as the Saint's day falls on a Sunday, which won't happen again until 2021. For me, the more important matter was riding a bicycle that a) doesn't fold up into a knapsack, b) has more than 3 speeds, and c) that one must stay on for 8 hours a day..



See what else I had to put up with?



First, I'm going to need a drink. Hope I don't spill on these people.



I do remember La Kontxa well



First test-ride, through the world's longest bicycle tunnel (850m)



Oh yes, this will work out just fine, all cycling ends in Astigarraga, spiritual home of Basque cider-making.



Jai Alai court. Fortunately not in session at the very moment.



The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.



Dinner at a Sagardotekia, i.e., a cidery, back in Astigarraga.



The menu is simple.



And old hands are steadiest.



One last look before the pain begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment