Friday, March 20, 2009

Daikanzukuri Kasumi-shu Usu-Nigori [1 Koku - 92]

This is one of Daimon-san's sake, a "thin" nigori, semaibuai 60%, 17.5% abv. As I understand it, nama (unpasteurised), shinshu (unaged), and genshu (cask strength).

kasumi
Drinking out of the masu - wooden box, made of Japanese Cedar, cryptomeria, filled, as tradition dictates, until the glass overflows into the box. Rich, sweet nose, full of melons, marshmallow, and cream. Plenty of power on the palate, lively acidity, sweet, but balanced, lots of melons. this is just about the only nigori sake that I've ever enjoyed. Now, to the box... sake stored or aged in wood will quickly take on wood flavours, but I didn't realise it was that quick! I don't know if it is because I don't use the masu very often, or because of the high alcohol content, or because of the nama-ness, but the sake has quickly captured a bit of cryptomeria, but not at all in a bad or overpowering way. Instead, there's a pleasant green and herbal bite being added in. That said, I think I'm going to stick to the regular ochoko for the next pours. I also will have to reconsider this allegiance to the isshobin when it comes to nama sake. The character changes too quickly, it's a lot of pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment